The holidays are upon us, and along with them comes the tradition of gift-giving.
Do you give experiences rather than things? Some prefer giving and/or receiving a shiny, wrapped present while others prefer an experience. At the same time, giving experiences rather than things is easier than it’s ever been.
Let’s explore the topic of giving experiences instead of things.
During the holiday season, it’s become part of our culture to give gifts. You may be wondering, but why do we give presents? Turns out there are quite a few reasons why.
- As a way to say “I’m thinking of you”
- To show appreciation
- Thoughtful gesture
- Tradition to follow
None of these reasons are bad or wrong. In fact, the thought behind a gift can be a way to strengthen the relationship between the giver and the receiver.
Although children love unwrapping presents and getting things, an article from Parenting Firstcry¹ explains that there are disadvantages to giving your child too many toys.
Some downsides for children include:
- Kids won’t appreciate or value the things they have.
- They bounce from toy to toy, which can hinder their concentration development.
- Children won’t foster their creativity or imagination by making playthings from everyday household items.
- “Boredom comes easily because kids know they will get something new when they ask for it. Toys may turn into an addiction to fight boredom and stress.”
However, there are families who simply don’t want their home to be filled with toys. Often children get so many, they forget what they have and only play with a select few. This also leaves parents wondering how to organize so many toys.
Delicious Experiences² posted an article with some incredible benefits of giving an experience.
You get to be excited at least twice – if not more! You are excited when you initially open the gift. You anticipate redeeming it and you’re thrilled when you do.
You enjoy a social experience. Most often, these are planned for you and the giver, so you share the experience and the memory together.
You create lasting memories. This is the biggest advantage of an experience. These positive memories will last a lifetime.
When you give an experience to a child, they will remember the time you spent with them much more than they will remember a toy.
Being the giver of an experience yields just as many joyful, exciting memories as being the receiver!
The list of ideas for gift experiences is extensive. Hot sauce enthusiast? There’s a kit for that. New dog mom? There’s a box for that. Skincare lover? Yep, there’s a… well, you get the picture.
The following list is for adults, children, and families. It’s broken down into the four categories of experiences, services, classes, and memberships.
Depending on your physical location, there are other experiences you can gift such as:
- ice skating
- indoor waterpark
- indoor rock climbing
- indoor playground
- indoor trampoline park
- indoor gym
More services that can be given are for:
- a barber (haircut, straight razor shave, beard trim)
- dog walker
- driver (Uber, Lyft)
- salon services
- personal shopper
- pet sitter
- in-home chef
- meal prep
Additional classes can include:
- rock climbing
Memberships can also include
- local swimming pools
- nature centers
- amusement parks
- wildlife sanctuaries
- outdoor theaters
- aquarium pass or membership
- children’s theater tickets or membership
There are experiences for just about every hobby, interest, and passion.
What?? Yes! Not only can you excite your loved ones, but you also can give back to charity in the process. CreateJoy compiled a list of 16 Amazing Subscription Box Gifts That Give Back to Good Causes.³
Here are a few they suggested:
- Brother’s Coffee Box – You’re gifting new, ethically-sourced coffee brands to your friend or family member each month and donating $1 to Grounds for Health to support cervical cancer screening and treatment.
- Kirills Tea Box – This box features premium tea bags filled with handcrafted loose leaf tea blends, made with whole herbs, whole spices, and honey sticks for sweetness. They donate to organizations doing humanitarian aid work across the globe.
- Life’s a Wave Beach Box – It’s packed with 5-8 sea-themed items, that bring relaxation and rejuvenation to your loved one despite beach season being months away. The proceeds from each box support clean and healthy oceans.
Or you can simply make a donation to a charity on behalf of your loved one.
Shopping local is always a great way to find unique gifts while supporting your local businesses.
There are many gifts you can share with the ones closest to you. Consider who you are shopping for and what will best fill up their emotional bank. There are creative ways on how to give experiences as gifts to someone, so you will still have something to hand them during this holiday time.
Professional Organizing is a gift that will give back. Dennise is available for both in-person as well as virtual organizing.
If you know someone who would love support in getting their time management skills, schedule, and productivity in good order, look no further than Dennise to help set an incredible foundation for the new year.
Click here to set up your free consultation with Organized MD today!